Sunday, February 05, 2006

Lazy Tom

The building I work at downtown is connected to the skywalk system. As you walk into the connecting skywalk bridge to our building you are greeted by a set of glass closed doors. You can either open them manually or use the automatic button that is meant to be for handicapped individuals. I hate to admit this but I always push the button instead of actually taking an extra second and opening the door myself. I am not the only person who is guilty of this. I have taken the time to notice lately and pretty much 4 out of 5 people will push the automatic button. Are we all just that lazy? Maybe it is okay to use these buttons even though I am capable of using my arms and legs?............
As I was thinking about this situation, the truth hit me like a brick in the face. I was walking up to the door and noticed a person in a wheelchair coming towards me from the opposite direction. Instead of pushing the button like normal, I opened the door myself because I felt guilty to be using the automatic button with a handicapped person watching me. Wow! I felt like a superficial idiot. I only opened the door because someone was watching. It shouldn't really matter how I act when someone is watching, it should be how I act when nobody is watching. That is the true person. Needless to say, now I open the door myself with the arms and hands that I have been blessed with.

Check out this link for some great Des Moines Coupons:

ValPak Coupons

0 comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...